Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Model Comedy.

Role Models is quite possibly the funniest movie I've seen since I started this blog (which might not be saying much). While I enjoyed Zack and Miri, the problem I had with it (and all romantic comedies in general) is that the entire plot revolves around two people discovering they're madly in love but for some reason can't be together until the end of two hours of annoying antics. The writing prowess of Kevin Smith and the ever eloquent Seth Rogen is ultimately what saved Zack and Miri from becoming a total waste of two hours. But the much funnier comedies are the ones like Role Models that include a romantic element but are essentially about something else entirely. Then again, maybe I'm just biased because I want to marry Paul Rudd and have lots and lots of his babies all while laughing hysterically at everything he says the entire time.

Director David Wain (Wet Hot American Summer, The Ten) once again teams up with Paul Rudd (who also co-wrote the screenplay) to deliver this comedy about two energy drink reps who get sentenced to 150 hours of community service at a mentoring program. Of course chaos ensues as bitter and depressed Danny (Rudd) does NOT want to cooperate and irresponsible womanizing Wheeler (Seann William Scott) is way too much of a child himself to be mentoring one.

Normally, kiddie films are pretty lame since the funniest moment usually involves an uncooperative child kicking someone in the balls. But while this film does have its share of physical humor, the real laugh-out-loud moments is the dialogue. While Zack and Miri rely on the shock value of dirty humor and the outright filthy, Role Models is much dryer, much wittier and more sarcastic - courtesy of the impeccable comedic timing of the actors.

Like I said, I have been in love with Paul Rudd since Clueless and he wasn't even that funny in it. And I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that every film he's been in has been made instantly funnier by his presence (sex panther? man o'lantern? yea I could probably continue but people at work are starting to wonder why I'm sitting here and just laughing to myself). Of course Rudd doesn't do it alone. After some misses in movies like The Rundown and Southland Tales and Mr. Woodcock, I was happy to see the return of Stifler, the role that put Seann William Scott on the map in the first place. Playing a sweeter (and buff-er) version of Stifler from the American Pie movies, Scott delivers some of the film's funniest lines including my favorite which taken out of context would make no sense at all so I'm not going to write it here but will tell you that it puts the words "butt-fuck" and "kids" in the same sentence. Christopher Mintz-Plasse of Superbad fame was appropriately awkward as Danny's mentee Augie Farks, but I'm still obsessed with him as McLovin and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It was 12-year-old Bobb'e J. Thompson who stole the film, however, playing Wheeler's hyperactive foul-mouthed smartass booby-watching 10-year-old little, Ronnie. Every line out of his mouth was pure genius, a credit to the writers for sure but also to Thompson for pulling them off so hilariously. Is it creepy that I want this little kid to be my new bff? Also at this point, I would like to point out that this is my THIRD Elizabeth Banks post in a row. WTF. I swear Hollywood has decided to just crank out tutorials on the various ways to get into Elizabeth Banks's pants.

All that being said, I think this film could've been funnier if the trailers didn't give away so many of the funny moments. Then again, unlike most comedies, I think Role Models definitely has more to offer beyond the one-liners delivered in the trailer.

Hm anyone else so ready for something besides comedies?! And by that I mean three words: Quantum. Of. Solace.

No comments: